Friday, January 21, 2011

You Can't Fix Stupid...

When I was in high school, my mom told me that I could date any boy (aka black, white, Asian, Indian, whatever) as long as he was smart. "You can't fix stupid," she said. "You can fix/adjust/learn to live with anything else, but one's IQ doesn't change so bring home someone who's smart."

And like most things Margaret said, she was right. I've amended this quote into the following life lesson:
You can't fix stupid or crazy.
But at least with crazy, you can medicate it into "normal."

Now I'm not talking learning disability or mentally disabled, for goodness sake! I'm actually referring to people lacking any sort of common sense. This also expands to the narrow-mindedness of some people as well.

I ran across the best eBay user id once that said "Stupid People Should Not Breathe."
It may be wrong... but this still makes me laugh. :)

I once had a conversation with a mother of my son, Jack's classmate." I mentioned my little mantra and she was somewhat horrified... she asked, "What about Christian?! Don't you want your kids to only bring home a Christian?" I paused, but I still revert to my original text because if David had ONLY brought home a Christian, then I wouldn't have qualified. Sure, I had been sprinkled/Baptized as a baby... sure, I had attended church-- sporadically... sure, I was "technically" Episcopalian. But I had a hard time with church and churchy stuff and churchy people. It took a l-o-n-g time before I considered myself a Christian, and thankfully, my dear hubby knew he would bring me around... :)

Unfortunately, I don't think the other mother understood when I shrugged off her comment, and replied that you can always convert someone... *sigh*

In Maggie's World, that kind of comment wouldn't land my foot in my mouth....

As for the 2nd part of my little mantra, well... raise your hand if you're on anti-depressants. I read once that 1 out of 4 people have mental "issues" so look at your three closest friends, and if they're "normal," well... it's you.

I think those statistics are going up... because if I gather my three closest friends, I think we're at 50% already!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm a COMMENT hound... if you've read this, leave a note!